MSF statement in response to false accusations against its work as posted on AmirNur website
Updated August 13, 2012 – MSF strongly denies the accusations against its work in Somaliland as initially posted on Amir Nur and repeated on other websites.
The hospitals operated by MSF in Somaliland and in Somalia have a long history of reducing maternal and infant mortality in the communities. They retain strong and widespread community support due in part to our medical expertise and the culturally appropriate delivery of such health services.
In the first six months of 2012, working with the Ministry of Health in the Burao (Burco) General Hospital, MSF medical teams have assisted over 2,000 deliveries, of which over 900 were complicated and 177 required caesarian sections.http://bit.ly/PdrYTG
Since MSF started operating in Burao in January 2011, admissions have tripled and mortality rates have dropped in the maternity to less than one death per one hundred patients. Due to the very high numbers of patients, MSF is currently extending the maternity ward. All surgeries require family consent.
In Somaliland, maternal mortality rates are 1,044 per 100,000– making it one of the worst countries in the world to give birth. Only one in five women has a skilled medic attend during labour.
Publishing unsubstantiated and incorrect claims with regards to medical care can have dangerous consequences as it can effect the health seeking behaviour of the population. Women in need of urgent care might hesitate to go to a structure thus endangering the health of the baby and the mother.
MSF handed over its projects in Hargeisa (2011) and Ceerigabo (2012) to the Ministry of Health.
Other articles about Assisting Somalis
- MSF FORCED TO CLOSE ALL MEDICAL PROGRAMMES IN SOMALIA
- TWO MSF AID WORKERS FREED IN SOMALIA
- Médecins Sans Frontières closes its clinic in Xadaar after security incident
- Somalia Crisis – Not Over Yet!
Other articles about Maroodi Jeex Region, Somaliland
- MSF statement in response to false accusations against its work as posted on AmirNur website
- Warbixinta MSF oo ka jawaabeysa been abuurka ka dhanka ah shaqadeeda oo lagu soo daabacay bogga AmirNur
- In Hargeisa’s Shadaha camp, life flourishes amidst hardship
- Medical care for Hargeisa’s most vulnerable people