MSF Completes Closure of Hodan Medical Project in Mogadishu After Killing
7th March 2012
The medical humanitarian organization Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) has officially concluded its medical activities in Hodan following the tragic killings of our colleagues Philippe Havet and Dr. Karel Keiluhu in Mogadishu, Somalia, on the 29th of December 2011.
This project included a 120 bed cholera treatment centre in Hodan district, and a 120 bed hospital for patients affected by measles and
malnutrition in Wadajir, where the killings took place.
MSF was able to close these structures without interruption to the treatment of any of the patients, who were transferred to other MSF
facilities that remain open in Mogadishu.
MSF projects will continue to provide medical care in the other districts of the capital Mogadishu, as well as in 10 locations in the
rest of Somalia.
However, the continuation of MSF work to assist Somalis in need of medical care is dependent upon the respect for patients, staff and
medical facilities. Where these conditions prevail, MSF remains committed to continue its activities in Somalia.
MSF strongly reiterates its call to all parties, the leadership and the people of Somalia to facilitate the safe release of Montserrat Serra and Blanca Thiebaut, MSF aid workers who were abducted in Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya on 13 October 2011 while carrying out emergency
assistance for the Somali population
MSF has been working in Somalia continuously since 1991 and currently operates 13 projects in the country, including medical activities
related to the ongoing emergency, vaccination campaigns, as well as nutritional interventions. MSF also assists Somali refugees in camps in Dadaab, Kenya, and Dolo Ado, Ethiopia
Other articles about Assisting Somalis
- MSF FORCED TO CLOSE ALL MEDICAL PROGRAMMES IN SOMALIA
- TWO MSF AID WORKERS FREED IN SOMALIA
- Médecins Sans Frontières closes its clinic in Xadaar after security incident
- Somalia Crisis – Not Over Yet!
Other articles about Banadir, South Central Somalia
- Fear of fighting forces malnourished children to leave MSF’s Kismayo feeding centre
- MSF Completes Closure of Hodan Medical Project in Mogadishu After Killing
- Somalia : Update on MSF situation and activities in Mogadishu following the killings of its 2 colleagues
- Reflections from the MSF President