29 bodies found on Yemen beach – MSF assists survivors of deadly sea crossing
Nairobi, 10 September 2008 – A Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) team found 8 dead bodies yesterday, September 9, on the beach of Wadi Al-BarakinYemen (30 kms east of Ahwar). These people, refugees and migrants who had escaped from conflict and extreme poverty in the Horn of Africa, were trying to cross the Gulf of Aden. During the rest of the day, 21 more dead bodies were washed up on the coast, raising the total death toll to 29. According to the survivors’ accounts, 10 more people died during the trip.
At 4.30am, the MSF team was alerted to a new arrival on the coast, the seventh in nine days. When the team reached the beach, they found a group of survivors and 8 dead bodies. The survivors told MSF staff that the boat arrived in the middle of the night and stopped far from the coast, in deep waters. The passengers were forced with extreme violence to jump into the water. Most of the people who died did not know how to swim.
The survivors explained that the smugglers were extremely brutal during the trip. According to their testimonies, up to 10 people died during the journey: several people were asphyxiated and three, including 2 children, were thrown into the sea by the smugglers.. About 120 people were in the boat at the beginning of the journey.
According to a 23 years-old Somali refugee from Mogadishu: “The smugglers promised us in Bossaso (Somalia) that we would be transported to Yemen in small groups with new fast boats, and with proper food and water. However, the boat was an old one. They pointed at us with their weapons and forced us to jump inside. We were 120 people, overcrowded; the trip took 2 days. We did not receive food, nor water; some of us were placed in the hull; several people died because of asphyxia, some others were thrown overboard, among them 2 children. In order to intimidate us, they beat us heavily with their belts. One of the smugglers threw petrol on us and showed off his lighter.”
After being given first aid on the beach, the refugees went to the Ahwar Reception Centre (ARC), where MSF teams provided medical assistance and counselling.
According to Alfonso Verdú, MSF Head of Mission in Yemen:
“With the previous 6 boat arrivals, people had been treated humanely by the smugglers. We thought that the trend might have changed, until today. The horrific cases of 2007 are being repeated again. People have been through terrible things. One woman lost her 3 young children. A young Ethiopian witnessed his 70 year-old father being thrown into the sea at night, and only recovered his dead body the next morning. The majority told us that they had no option but to flee from the violence exerted against them in Somalia and Ethiopia, even though they knew about the danger of the trip. We were expecting a massive arrival of refugees and migrants – the 2008 figures are double those of 2007. But it is clearly not only the numbers that are increasing: the violence has tripled since the beginning of September.”
MSF started its project in September 2007, providing medical and humanitarian assistance to refugees and migrants arriving at the Yemeni coast of Abyan and Shabwa Governorates. During 2008, MSF has provided assistance to over 3,800 people, 580 of them in September. In June 2008, MSF released a report entitled “No Choice” to document the conditions of the perilous journey and to call for an increased in the assistance for the thousands of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants fleeing their home countries.
Other articles about Press Release
- Leaders must not fail refugees in Dadaab, the world’s largest camp
- Six months after the abduction of Blanca Thiebaut and Montserrat Serra
- Maternal Death: The Avoidable Crisis
- MSF CLOSES ITS LARGEST MEDICAL PROJECT IN MOGADISHU AFTER KILLINGS – Other projects in Somalia continue, but MSF medical assistance in Somali capital reduced by half